Tullibardine

From Tullach Bhardainn, ‘hill of warning’

From Tullach Bhardainn, ‘hill of warning’

Located in the small town of Blackford between Stirling and Dundee, Tullibardine distillery was built on the site of the former Sharp’s Distillery. Blackford became a popular pit-stop for travellers in the 15th century when the first public brewery in Scotland was founded, with even King James IV stopping off for a pint or two in 1488 on the way to his coronation!

The distillery was built in 1949 by William Delme-Evans. Water was drawn from the Danny Burn in the surrounding Ochil Hills which were once famous for their gold mines. This particularly clear water is also the source of Highland Spring water, that began bottling operations in 1979.

A single malt whisky was produced until it was mothballed in 1994 by Whyte and Mackay, with Tullibardine being deemed surplus to requirements. However, In 2003 it was rescued and sold to Tullibardine Distiller Ltd, a consortium of private investors and industry professionals who recognised the distillery’s potential. In 2011, ownership passed to Picard Vins and Spiritueux.