Teaninich

From Taigh an Aonaich, meaning ‘house on the hill’

From Taigh an Aonaich, meaning ‘house on the hill’

Teaninich is hidden in the town of Alness on the north side of the Cromarty Firth. Less than a mile away lies the heavily signposted tourist epicentre, Dalmore Distillery.

The distillery was built in 1817 by Hugh Munro on his private Teaninich Castle estate. Early efforts at distilling were hampered by a lack of local barely – most of it was being consumed by the huge numbers of nearby illicit distillers! After passing to his brother, John Munro, the distillery was expanded in 1898. In 1904, it passed into the ownership of Robert Innes Cameron, who also owned stakes in Linkwood, Benrinnes and Tamdhu.

In 1933 the distillery was sold to Scottish Malt Distillers, and apart from a hiatus for the duration of the Second World War continued producing whisky until 1970 when a new stillhouse with six new stills was built in an ambitious expansion. The old still room was mothballed and subsequently demolished in 1999.

Teaninich uses the only working example of a hammer and mash filter in a malt distillery, and this produces an exceptionally clear wort. Combined with short and squat stills, Teaninich is remarkably full bodied, yet the flavours are distinctively delicate and fragrant.