Glenrothes

Glen-roth-iss, From ‘Gleann Rathais’, Rothes Valley.

Glen-roth-iss, From ‘Gleann Rathais’, Rothes Valley.

The distillery was built in 1878 by James Stuart & Co, who then also worked the nearby Macallan distillery. For its first fifty years, Glenrothes was hampered by a series of unfortunate events. The first whisky ran off the stills on the 28 December 1879, the same day as the Tay Bridge disaster.

Over-proof whisky is notoriously highly flammable; 100 proof is the and the distillery has paid the price. Extension work began in 1896, but before the work was finished, a fire in December 1897 caused serious damage. The distillery saw further damage when a violent explosion shook Glenrothes in 1903.

Then, in 1922, another fire in Warehouse Number One caused the loss of 910,000 L of whisky. Another fire in 1962 afforded the opportunity for expansion and a further re-build in 1982 extended the still hall to five wash stills and five spirit stills.

Today, Glenrothes is part of the Edrington Group.