Bruichladdich

‘Brooichh-laddie’, meaning brae by the shore

‘Brooichh-laddie’, meaning brae by the shore

The distillery was built by three brothers; William, John and Robert Harvey. They chose a location on the shore of Loch Indaal on the Rinns of Islay, on the west of the island. Using the money from a large inheritance, William financed the construction, John designed it and Robert took care of the engineering. When completed, it was the most modern distillery on Islay. However, the brothers soon began to quarrel amongst themselves, and Bruichladdich was run solely by the eldest brother, William Harvey, until his death in 1936. The next sixty years were turbulent for the distillery, which changed hands multiple times and was finally closed in 1994 due to being ‘surplus to requirements’. However, the distillery was saved in December 2000 by Mark Reynier and a group of private investors. Bruichladdich is now owned by Remy Cointreau.

Bruichladdich place an extraordinary emphasis on barley, believing wholeheartedly in terroir and its impact on the finished whisky. Furthermore, they seemingly have no boundaries when it comes to experimentation, having created a quadruple distilled whisky, the distillation of which was supervised from the protection of a small bomb-shelter should the stills explode. They have matured whiskies in a multitude of different cask types from first-growth Bordeaux to Pedro Xeminex.

Bruichladdich Distillery has never been properly modernised and retains its original interior and equipment. The production process is completed from start to finish by highly skilled distillers using traditional methods, and without the use of a single computer. Three different spirits are distilled through the tall, elegant stills with their strikingly narrow necks: unpeated Bruichladdich, peated Port Charlotte, and finally Octomore, one of the smokiest single malt whiskies in the world. 100% of the spirit is used for the production of single malt whisky, and the distillery also produces an artisanal gin, the ‘Botanist’.